Does it ever feel like the space between the keys on your keyboard is comparable to the space between the couch cushions?
Stuff gets lost in there way too easily, it’s near impossible to get out, and it can get pretty nasty.
It may seem like the only solution is to never eat within a ten-foot radius of your MacBook Pro or MacBook Air, or to carefully dust and wipe the keys every evening with some sort of magic solution.
However, there’s a much easier way to solve this problem — a keyboard cover (often called a keyboard skin). Keyboard skins lay flush over your keys and are usually made of silicone, allowing them to be removed and cleaned very easily.
In addition to protecting your keys from spills, drops, and dust, keyboard covers prevent overall wear and tear (such as the letters from rubbing off) by protecting the surface of the keys from typical use and any contaminants that make it unnoticed onto your fingers.
- Quick Summary
- Who Should Get This?
- Best Keyboard Cover for MacBook in 2021: Our Picks
- Additional Tips & Resources
- Keyboard Cover for MacBook: What to Consider in 2021?
- Final Words
- For the minimalist simply looking for functionality, the UPPERCASE GhostCover offers a premium ultra thin keyboard protector that covers your keys without drawing any unnecessary attention.
- If you’re feeling a little bolder, try the silicone Batianda Ombre Color Keyboard Cover which is available in many bright colors and a bit more durable.
- Headed for stylish? All-inside Ombre Color Keyboard Skin offers a sleek design that protects your keys from liquid and dust without sacrificing quality.
- Using a 2016/2017 MacBook Pro with Touch Bar? Get KEC Keyboard Cover Skin as it’s made specifically for these new models.
Who Should Get This?
Almost everyone would be better off with a keyboard cover protecting his or her MacBook. A keyboard protector helps prevent the accumulation of grime on your keyboard, protect it from any accidents, and keep the real keyboard safe under a thin, often noticeable layer.
Also, keyboard skins are convenient and can be as stylish or invisible as you want. The only person we wouldn’t recommend a keyboard cover is one perhaps allergic to silicone (which is what most are made of) or has some sort of other pressing concern — though it’s hard to imagine any.
Best Keyboard Cover for MacBook in 2021: Our Picks
Available in iterations for almost every new MacBook Pro model, the UPPERCASE GhostCover has you covered whether you have a touchpad, numpad, or standard keyboard for MacBook Pros with Touch Bar 13″ and 15″ (2016 or later). The clear design is almost invisible on top of your Mac.
- Clear design is near unnoticeable on top of your keys and is available for a wide variety of MacBook Pros.
- It allows backlit keys to shine through the cover.
- Typing on thermoplastic urethane instead of classic keys can take some getting used to.
Coming in many prints and patterns, the Batianda skin is made with the bold in mind.
The silicone skin is very thin, so you’ll barely feel it while you type and you can still make a statement with the various available colors. Fits the keys nicely but be sure not to remove and replace it too much or it will stretch out and lose its snugness.
- Available in a plethora of designs, allowing you to personalize your MacBook with ease.
- Thin and weighs only a little over an ounce.
- Very easy to clean and fits the keys perfectly on a variety of MacBook models.
- Backlighting is easily blocked by the colored pattern.
If your MacBook was released before 2016 and you’re looking for a cover that looks clean, this model from All-inside comes in a variety of peaceful ombres that add style without going overboard. Water and dust proof, it’ll keep your keys safe underneath.
- Gorgeous design that will fit your MacBook snuggly and add style without clashing with the rest of the room.
- Protects effectively against liquid and dust.
- Silicone may leave an oily residue on keys if both the cover and the keyboard are not regularly cleaned.
This cover is specially designed to fit 2016/2017 MacBook Pro with Touch Bar, 13-inch, and 15-inch. Note that this is a super slim cover that makes it easier for you to type, and you’ll find the characters clearly printed on the keyboard skin.
- It does its job and you don’t have too many options if you’re using the latest MacBook Pro with Touch Bar.
- It’s durable and beautiful as you will find each key is specifically printed for better recognition.
- It may take you a little extra time getting used to the printed characters. A bit expensive than most other options.
If you are looking for a cheap and easy solution to covering up your keyboard without affecting its performance, this Ultra-Thin Kuzy cover could be the perfect option.
It’s only 0.12mm thick, which is one of the thinnest options out there. It also has a molded fit that wraps around each key flawlessly for excellent coverage and protection.
You’ll get a barrier against dust, spills, and normal wear and tear at a super-affordable price.
- Ultra-thin design allows for a molded fit that doesn’t affect keyboard performance.
- Compatible with older 13-inch MacBooks.
- Colored models can show signs of wear relatively quickly.
For an affordable and effective option that will keep your keyboard protected from dust, dirt, and other debris, the CaseBuy Ultra is recommended.
It’s made of a premium-grade TPU material that is highly durable while being thin and non-toxic. This cover measures in at only 0.13mm, which will barely be noticeable when you’re typing.
It’s also washable so cleaning up all the dust and dirt it catches is easy.
- Affordable but still high-quality
- Very thin design that is soft to help eliminate key sound and improve waterproof and dustproof capabilities.
- Some users have complained of the cover not sticking well to the keyboard
Another top option for a keyboard cover is the VFENG Premium.
It will work nearly flawlessly with both 13 and 15 inch MacBook Pros with Touch Bar and gives you good protection against dirt and grime.
It’s a little thicker at 0.3mm, but that enhances protection without making too much of an impact on performance.
This cover is built to last and is easily washable and reusable when it eventually gets dirty.
- Compatible with many different MacBooks with Touch Bar.
- Premium grade silicone construction for excellent protection and durability.
- Not compatible with 2020 or newer MacBook Pro 13-inch.
Additional Tips & Resources
Once you have a keyboard cover, keeping your keys clean is a breeze. While you should still be removing the cover and cleaning both of them on a regular basis, it’s definitely less pressure. Learn more from this step-by-step guide made by Apple.
Keep in mind that keyboard cover is taking the beating instead of your keys — not simply deflecting it. It needs to be cleaned gently as oils and crumbs build up. The process is super simple and shouldn’t take you more than a few minutes.
For some general tips on keeping your whole computer in peak shape, use this guide from New York Times for cleaning everything from the actual keyboard to the screen.
Keyboard Cover for MacBook: What to Consider in 2021?
Always make sure to check the model of keyboard cover you’re interested in is sized correctly for your MacBook!
Besides the obvious factors such as 15-inch models with numpads/additional keys, there is some variation in key spacing and key depth between some models so you’ll want to make sure you have the right one.
Additionally, make sure the cover matches the keyboard type you have, since Mac is available in many varieties besides a standard US keyboard, and these can have drastically different key layouts.
If you have super sensitive fingers or don’t like the feel of silicone, you’ll want to look for skins that are as thin as possible over the keys.
Alternatively, if you know you’re naturally clumsy and prone to spills, you might want something a bit sturdier that will give you more ease of mind. The thickness of the keyboard skin comes down to personal preference, but you should keep it in mind before you buy.
Obsessed with chroma and RGB? Prefer pandas? Want to match your hardshell case? Or would you rather leave your MacBook’s keys appearing untouched? Due to their overall simplicity, keyboard skins offer a wide variety of customizations and give you space to really make your Mac your own.
If you find a product that meets all your practical requirements, always check if the vendor offers multiple colors, patterns, or designs for you to choose from.
Keyboard covers are more than a neat decoration. They protect your powerful MacBook from falling victim to slips and spills and keep things clean all around. Do you have a favorite keyboard skin? Leave a comment and let us know.