A MacBook is the most portable laptop your entire workstation is ever going to get.
Sure, a phone is smaller – but it’s also less powerful and will never be able to run all your programs or offer a comfortable viewing screen.
All laptops are vulnerable to one main requirement though, and that’s battery power.
Whether you didn’t remember to charge before you left for your day or will simply be using it more than can be reasonably expected on a single charge, battery life determines whether or not your MacBook is functional when you need it most.
But since you can’t expect to find power outlets wherever you go, how can you make sure your computer makes it all the way through the day with you?
Just like a portable charger for your phone, you can get a portable charger for your MacBook Pro that is designed to hold at least one whole additional charge.
Keep in mind you’ll need a Mac with the latest USB-C tech unless you want to purchase a MagSafe adapter as well, but in this article, we’ll take you through some of the best power banks to keep you on the go.
- The Omni 20+ 20000mAh Laptop Power Bank is a solid choice if you need a reliable full charge on the regular. It’s fairly light, charges your Mac quickly via USB-C, and looks sleek doing so. The LED indicator helps you check how much charge you have left to run on.
- If you prefer to stick with a well-known brand, the Anker 525 Power Bank 20000mAh has slightly less capacity but should still bring your MacBook close to 100%. It comes with a wall adapter that can speed up your normal charging process as well.
- For those using a Mac with MagSafe, you can plug your AC adapter directly into the Jackery PowerBar 23200mAh for a quick and effective power-up.
- For the latest 16 inches MacBook Pro, you may consider MAXOAK Laptop Power Bank or EASYLONGER Portable Charger for a cheaper alternative.
Who Should Get This
A power bank or portable charger is a great choice for MacBook users utilizing the latest machines and taking them out beyond the range of a power outlet on a regular basis. It will provide a layer of security in case you get a dreaded “power low” notification and keep your Mac running strong all day long.
However, if your Mac has just one or two homes (such as the office and a home workspace), you’re probably fine without purchasing a power bank, since you’ll be near a power outlet almost all the time.
Additionally, older MacBook Pro users will need to consider carefully since using any power bank will require a MagSafe adapter or specialty power bank and these can run fairly expensive.
Best Power Bank for MacBook Pro in 2022: Our Picks
Please note that all the power bank items listed below are chosen based on our personal takes and preferences. They are not intended to be ranked in this order.
Taking only 3 hours to be fully charged and ready to go, the Omni battery pack is prepared to deliver on the daily. The USB-C input/output lets you charge your MacBook quickly and efficiently in the field and use special technology to determine the fastest current it can do so. It weighs 1.1 pounds.
- Holds a whole charge for your MacBook Pro and includes an LED power indicator so you know how much charge is left for use.
- Comes with the USB-C to USB-C cable needed for proper charging.
- There’s not much to dislike here. This power bank is an all-around winner in terms of both capacity and design.
Weighing in at 12.2 ounces and about the size of your palm, the Anker PowerCore is ready to put up a fight. You can charge more than one device at the same time (so both your MacBook and iPhone can be revived with no time in between).
With a sleek finish and stylish design, this power bank will definitely be able to put in the necessary work to keep you going.
- Small size and weight make it easy to transport and a truly portable source of power.
- Holds about one full charge for your MacBook and comes with the necessary cables and even a wall adapter for faster charging.
- Only two outputs, so don’t plan on charging multiple devices at once.
Don’t have a USB-C on your MacBook Pro yet? That’s alright because the Jackery Power Bar doesn’t need it.
Instead, you can plug your normal wall adapter straight into it and charge just like you were at home or in the office. There are USB-C and USB-A ports in addition if your other devices that could utilize them.
- One of the few portable chargers to offer an AC output, it’s a great option for MacBooks that are using the MagSafe adapter to charge. However, this power bank also sticks with the times by including both USB-C and USB-A, making it perfectly well rounded.
- A little hefty at one and a half pounds, but still fairly portable.
With a 18W fast charge feature and a universal battery that can get up to 50% battery in just 30 minutes, this Mophie Powerstation is an excellent accessory for any MacBook Pro user.
It’s a USB-C option that uses a 20,000mAh rechargeable battery for reliable use when additional power is required. It also comes with two different 2.4A USB-A ports for quick-charging other devices in addition to your laptop.
- A great option for extended battery use with a fast charge feature for quick use of multiple devices.
- Wrapped in a premium fabric for added durability and grip.
- Some users have complained the charge diminishes after several battery cycles.
5. MAXOAK Laptop Power Bank – Great for 16 Inches
If you have a larger MacBook, you need a larger power bank. The MAXOAK option here is the perfect solution for anyone with a 16-inch, power-hungry laptop.
This power bank offers long-lasting and reliable performance thanks to a Lithium-ion polymer battery cell capable of 1000 or more recharge cycles. It also will charge your MacBook pretty quickly and only takes 6-8 hours to recharge once depleted.
- Has several outputs to work with various devices, all while offering fast charge capability.
- Aluminum shell design and no fan design keep things quiet and functional.
- Expensive when not purchased on sale.
6. EASYLONGER Portable Charger – Cheaper alternative for 16 Inches
Looking for a more affordable portable charging option for your 16-inch MacBook Pro? This EASYLONGER portable charger will have you covered. It’s a 100W PD power bank that utilizes eight lithium batteries to provide a fast and effective charging solution.
You’ll also get the benefit of multiple devices charging with two USB-C and two USB-A ports. This will work on many different devices but is a recommended cheaper alternative for 16-inch MacBooks.
- High-speed recharging capabilities – 2 hours to 100%.
- Four outputs allow for multiple device charging at the same time.
- Charge and recharge cycle not as long-lasting as other options seen on the list.
Additional Tips & Resources
Besides purchasing a power bank, there are a few things you can do to keep your Mac from draining the battery any faster than necessary. Here are a few to get you started:
- Keep the brightness down (it’s good for your eyes too!)
- Turn off Bluetooth when you aren’t using it. After all, there’s no point scanning for nonexistent devices.
- Turn off wifi and location services if you don’t need them or are working off the grid.
- Constantly searching for signal is a huge power drain.
- Make sure to close programs you don’t need rather than leaving them running in the background.
For guidance on how to do these tricks and a few other methods for extending battery life, check out this article from Macworld. Also, don’t forget to take a look at this troubleshooting guide we have if you feel your MacBook battery has some problems.
If you want the convenience of a power bank but the portability and sturdiness of a carrying case for your MacBook, you might be better served by a battery backpack.
These backpacks securely store your Mac but are designed to make charging easy with special ports, pockets, and sleeves to keep everything in order. This review of the best backpacks for MacBook Pro is a great place to begin looking into these devices.
Buying a Power Bank for MacBook: What to Look For
The capacity of the power bank is what determines how much charge it can hold, and is measured in milliamp hours (mAh). You’ll want at least 20,000 mAh to get a full charge, and around 12,000 mAh for about half a charge. Numbers aren’t precise or scaleable due to energy loss during transfer.
The rate at which your computer charges is determined both by the connection and by the output rate, which should be published (though often takes some digging to find) in any product’s description.
Size & Weight
Power banks imply portability, but this isn’t always the case. You’ll notice that the larger the capacity gets, the bulkier and heavier the power bank becomes, which means you’ll need to strike a balance between the two.
If you know you’re already carrying a lot, you may be more inclined to a slimmer model, but if you aren’t afraid of weighing your backpack down, it may be worth it to go for a little extra battery life.
Can A Power Bank Charge A MacBook Pro?
Yes, all standard power banks can charge a MacBook Pro, and you just have to make sure they contain at least 20,000 mAh for a full charge as well as having a USB-C port like those we covered above.
How Much mAh And Watts Should The Power Bank Need For 16″ Inch MBP?
If you are just looking for charging without using it, a 40-60 watts power delivery would work just fine. And if you are looking to charge and use it simultaneously, you would need 100 watts. For mAH you would need at least about 25,000, which is about 20% higher mAH than the 13″ MacBook Pro.
Maybe one day we’ll have MacBooks that can draw power from the air around them, but until then power users are going to need power banks to keep them going on a day-to-day basis.
Whether you need at least one whole addition charge or just a little something extra to make sure your files get saved before the screen goes black, there are a variety of power banks that can help you make sure that happens.
We’d also love to hear what power banks you prefer for day-to-day use, so leave a comment and let us know!About Eric