This site contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, We earn a commission from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you.
Have you encountered the issue “Unable to verify account name or password” on your Apple Mail?
We have been, too, and it can take a toll often, especially when you have something important to look forward to.
The Apple Mail login error can occur due to incorrect credentials, network issues, changed passwords, etc.
- Check your internet connection and account credentials entered.
- Try accessing the account from another device.
- Resetting the Mail app fixes the issue for some users.
- Delete old passwords from Keychain if changed recently.
- Update macOS if outdated.
- Clear Mail app cache.
- Contact Apple Support if troubleshooting doesn’t work.
So, we tried out multiple methods that might help you resolve the issue and created this guide you can follow.
Now, this issue isn’t only limited to when you are accessing Apple Mail but also when you are trying to log in to different accounts, such as LinkedIn, using Apple Mail.
The reason behind this could be due to an Internal server error or specifically related to your Mail account. Let’s look at all the possible aspects and their solutions below.
Here is all you need to know.
“Unable to Verify Account Name or Password”- Reasons
Before we can head over to the possible solutions and different methods you can try, it is important to understand what could have gone wrong. Here is a list that might make the error a lot clearer.
- Incorrect Account Information- You may have been entering the wrong information while trying to access Apple Mail, such as Username and Password.
- Internal Server Error: The Apple Mail server may not be functioning as it should, and due to heavy load, there might be certain errors causing it to show such an error.
- Network Issues: There is always a possibility that you have a poor network connection.
- Changed Password- If you recently changed your Apple Mail password, this error may occur.
How to Fix “Unable to verify account name or password” Apple Mail
You need to reset your Mail app to fix the “Unable to verify account name or password” on Apple Mail. Also, this may remove all the cache and default settings of the application and fix the error. Or else the best approach is to simply update your macOS and try accessing your Apple Mail app.
You can try the above methods to fix your mail app. Or else you can try other methods as well if the above isn’t working for you. Here is what you can do.
Unable To Verify Account Name Or Password Apple Mail [Fixed]
Let’s check out the detailed steps on how you can fix the above error with your Apple Mail.
1. Check Internet Connection
Let’s start with something basic, which might be the error’s root cause. If you do not have an active or stable network on your Mac, then the mail app might not log in or even connect properly.
Hence, ensure you are connected to the Wi-Fi or even try restarting the router to be on the safe side. Check now if you are able to access your mail account. If this does not work for you, you can try a lot more methods.
2. Check Account Details
If you have entered the wrong credentials, i.e., the username or password, this error might pop up, as seen in the image below.
For this, you can try accessing the Internet Accounts from the finger. Here is what you can do.
1. Open the Apple icon on the top-left corner of the desktop and choose System Settings.
2. Scroll and Open Internet Accounts.
3. Check the Apple Mail account showing an error on the right sidebar.
4. Open it and enter the correct credentials.
This will eventually save your credentials, and if they are correct now, you will not find this error again.
3. Try Another Device
Try setting up or accessing your email account on a different device, such as another computer, smartphone, or tablet. This will help determine if the issue is device-specific or if it’s related to your email account settings.
You can also try using a different browser and logging in to your credentials. If this works, then the issue might have been with your device.
4. Reset Mail App
The Resetting Mail app is one of my favorites. However, please be aware that resetting the Mail app will delete all your email account settings, preferences, and local mail data, so make sure you have backed up any essential emails and settings before proceeding.
- Quit the Mail App
- Click on the Go option at the top.
- Select Go to Folder to open Library.
- Type ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail/Data/Library/Preferences/ and delete the files for the Mail app.
This might take a while, considering there are thousands of emails on your device. Once done, try relaunching the app.
5. Delete Password from Keychain
Have you recently changed your Apple Mail password? If yes, then you need to delete the old password from Keychain. This sometimes interferes with your current password.
Hence, here are the steps to delete passwords from Keychain.
1. Click on the apple icon on the top-left corner of the screen.
2. Open System Settings.
3. Scroll down and click on Passwords on the left sidebar.
4. Here, look for the Apple Mail password.
5. Click on the i icon.
6. Choose Delete Password.
This is how you can delete passwords for your Apple Mail. Also this method can be used for other apps as well.
6. Update macOS
A lot of users have encountered this issue, which was mainly due to outdated macOS. Hence, you can update your system and resolve the issue permanently.
- Open the Apple menu at the top and choose System Settings.
- Click on Software Update Available on the left sidebar.
- Wait for the system to check for any updates.
- Click on Update Now.
Wait for the system to complete the update and restart. This will flush out any internal error you might encounter with your Apple Mail.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is Apple Mail not accepting my email password?
If you have recently updated your email or password from another device, then you may still be entering the old password. Hence, you can remember the current password and use the right credentials to access the Apple Mail account.
How do I clear my Apple Mail cache?
To clear the Apple Mail cache, open Go to Folder using Shift + Command + G on your keyboard. Type and enter ~/Library/Preferences/Caches to open the Caches folder. Here, look for the Apple Mail files and drag them to the Recycle bin. This will clear the caches of Apple Mail.
Fixing the “Unable to verify account name or password” on Apple Mail can be overwhelming since you may never know the reason behind the error. You can try entering the correct credentials into the Mail app since an incorrect password is a major reason for this error.
If not, then try resetting the mail app or simply updating the macOS would work as well, especially if you are using an outdated version.About Mohit