This site contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, We earn a commission from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you.
You can send a fax with your MacBook Pro with hardware or software. You can send the fax with hardware if you have an RJ11 (telephone line) adapter and connection. If you can’t connect to a telephone line, you must use software to send the fax.
I’m Jon, a Macbook Pro owner, and expert. I’ve recently sent a few faxes with my MacBook Pro and put together this guide to show you how.
So, let’s dive in.
As I indicated above, there are two ways to send a fax from your MacBook Pro, the hardware and software methods.
How to Send a Fax from Your MacBook Pro with Built-In Hardware
If your MacBook Pro has a phone line (RJ11) input built into it, you can use this to send faxes from any application that allows you to print documents. However, no modern Macs have an RJ11 port, including my 2019 MacBook Pro. So, you will have to use an RJ11 to USB-C adapter.
Once you have an adapter and a telephone line, you can use the steps below to send a fax straight from your MacBook Pro (without a fax machine).
- Plug the phone line into your MacBook Pro with the appropriate adapter (if needed).
- Open the document that you want to fax.
- Click File from the top menu.
- Click Print.
- Click the PDF button on the bottom.
- Click Fax PDF from the drop-down menu here.
- Enter the Fax number where you want to send the document in the To field.
- Click Use Cover Page; if you want to include a cover page in the fax, you can also type a subject line or intro message here.
- Click Fax.
Also Read: How to Print on MacBook
How to Send a Fax Using Fax Software
If your MacBook Pro does not have a phone line input and you don’t have an adapter, don’t worry– you can still send a fax with software.
In this case, you’ll need to download faxing software to be able to send a fax.
Here are the best programs you can choose from to send a fax with your MacBook Pro. All of these will allow you to send a fax quickly and easily.
- iFax – The Mac store claims that this is the most popular faxing software in the world, and it is designed to work well with your MacBook Pro. Easy to use and free for a week, then you’ll have to pay.
- FaxPro – Another great fax app for your MacBook that is simple and easy to use. There is an upfront cost, but you can send unlimited faxes from there. I like this over monthly subscription models.
- FaxDocument – This app has my favorite interface that is easy to use with a drag and drop style to send faxes. It has a simple layout and is self-explanatory to get started with sending faxes.
You can send a fax with your MacBook Pro by connecting a telephone line (RJ11) cable to it (with an adapter). Otherwise, you can send the fax with one of the recommended software programs above.
Have you ever sent a fax from your MacBook? Did you use software or built-in hardware?About Jonathon Jachura
If you don’t want a subscription you can try Simplefax, but it’s a paid app: https://simplefax.app
This is a great article! Thank you! I had a printer with a fax, until the printer died after 10-15yrs. (Epsons are good that way) I bought a new printer without a fax and kept the old printer just for the fax. I hardly ever fax, anymore, so needed to throw out the bulky printer! Either I will purchase your recommended software or walk to the library!